Tuesday 4 June 2013

Getting creamed...


A good few days have passed already since my last two cooking classes but I make absolutely no 
excuse for this delay in writing as it has taken me this long to recover from the extreme consumption. However after a few days in the Croatian sun, I now feel ready to raconte.

My last few days started with mastering the magic of macarons and ended in getting creamed - so creamed in fact that I don't think I can cream again for some time.

I’ll leave the creaming until later and instead start with macarons.  The class was fun but nowhere near as good as the other classes as it was targeted to tourists a little more than to people who actually have some idea about using a spatula.  Don’t get me wrong, I don't want to be a cooking snob, but it does somewhat help if you actually like to cook and know some of the basics such as know what a saucepan and blender looks like and what they are used for.  Their piping skills probably irked me the most.  Other than Igor, the Serbian pastry chef who currently works in St Petersbourg and was looking to add macarons to his repertoire, no one had the slightest idea about cooking.  Apparently macarons have not hit the Russian market yet and Igor wanted to be the one to make the introductions.  It was more than amusing watching this big burly guy take such an interest in this dainty dessert but he was happy to share some of his tips with us all during the class.


We learnt both the French and the Italian method of macarons and I much prefer the Italian method which involves pouring a hot sugar mix into egg white mixture as it gives you a smoother finish. After dabbling with different flavours and fillings, I learnt that despite their fun and colourful appearance macarons are sickly sweet and quite expensive to make if you want to have a few different flavours. 


Reducing strawberries - Yum!

Fortunately, Olly and I had a dinner party to go to that evening with some friends so my little collection was taken along. Although macarons are supposed to be devoured after a 24 hour waiting period, mine were promptly devoured that very night after the necessary amount of oohing and ahhing from the taste testers.



Now, onto getting creamed. My cream class was a small class of four back at Lenotre. It was mostly smooth sailing until I nearly completely ruined the crème au beurre (butter cream) which was highly embarrassing and left me cursing in French after the chef’s slightly overdramatic shrieks of panic. Besides the almost-burnt crème au beurre, we learnt how to make: crème anglaise (similar to pouring custard), crème pâtissière (similar to thick custard), crème au chocolat (chocolate custard as found in eclairs), crème au cafe (coffee custard as found in eclairs), crème a la pistache (pistachio cream), crème legere (“light” cream similar to pouring cream which was not light at all!), crème caramel and crème brulee.  I think in total we used about 5 kgs of butter. That can either be viewed as delicious or really just disgusting. There was a lot of cream to say the least. I felt totally creamed out by the end of the day and much to my distress, I had to take the damn stuff home. I must admit the crème brulee and the crème caramel were nothing short of delicious and were enjoyed by Olly and myself.



Now days later, I still feel like I am oozing butter and cream from my pores.

Look at this!  This is just pure art!
Gorgeous creations coming out of the oven.



 
Nearly there...