Sunday 7 July 2013

Didn't quite make it to the park bench

Despite getting home late last night from Greece the Parisian summer sun woke me early and enticed me to go outdoors.  I dolled myself up in my new summer frock and sandals and walked up the hill to Gontran Cherrier's bakery to buy some croissants and brioche for breakfast. For those not in the know, Gontran is a young, trendy and highly celebrated pastry chef.  

During breakfast 'Olly had asked me what I wanted to do for the day - my only request was to hunt down a park bench My Little Paris had described as the best bench in Paris.  After reading their post late last week I was curious to see if this indeed was the best bench in Paris.  It is a fairly big call after all.  I also thought the 450 steps required to reach this bench would be some well needed exercise.  So after breakfast we set off - we marched past the Montmartre cemetery, up Rue Lepic and then on to Rue des Abbesses.  We didn't get any further.  Normally everything in Paris is closed on Sunday but because Montmartre is considered a tourist destination the shops are permitted to open.  This was quite bad for us as we were so swept up in the sales we didn't quite make it up the hill.  Not only that, the shopping made us hungry so we stopped off at Jeanne B, a great little restaurant on our way home.  We shared a delicious vegetable torte and asparagus lasagna with salad.  We were then brainwashed into having dessert - chocolate mouse with salted caramel butter and a white chocolate parfait.  Delicious!  We then rolled down the hill and watched the men's Wimbeldon grand final.  

I have to see this bench before I leave.  

My Little Paris describes it as follows:

On your right, a cobbled street leading to a vineyard.On your left, a little garden.Behind you, a glimpse of the Paris skyline.And right in front of you, the Sacré-Coeur.You are sitting on a bench. 

Here, there are no tyrannical pigeons, no kodaking tourists, no lovers kissing. That's because this bench has to be earned. First, you need to climb 450 steps. Then to haul yourself up onto Montmartre's shoulders, go round the right side of the Sacré-Coeur and walk along a park. And there it will be, lonesome and stoic. It will witness your daydreams and enable you to remember the sound of silence and the color of the sky. 


Don't worry, it's waiting for you.

The best bench in Paris is at the crossing of rue Saint-Vincent and rue de la Bonne, 75018 Paris


Details:

Gontran Cherrier
22 rue Coulaincourt - 75018
website: www.gontran-cherrier.com 

Jeanne B
61 rue Lepic - 75018